Go Back   Betta Club (Singapore) > Old Forum [Archived] > All For Bettas > General

General Discussion and Q&A on general Betta topics that are not under the respective heading

» Latest Blogs
New legislation by the Australia government
29th September 2010 by Admin
Viewed 39586 times

Unread 25th April 2004, 11:13 AM

Default What does the Real Black Orchid look like?

Hmmm, I remember something like this being posted in this board some time back but I can't find it in the archives.

At any rate is this a black orchid?

Also, Black Orchid is supposed to be a line by Henry Yin. It is supposed to be a black fish with blue streaks to only have the fins like butterfly only the "butterfly" pattern is limited only to the fin webbing, the reays are black.

I would also like to confirm if the Black Orchid is limited to only crowntails as I believe they are.

This is in conjunction with the recent discussions I have stirred up on MG because Black Orchid is now at the stage of what MG was back then, and there is a chance that it could be misused so as to cause much confusion in the future.

BTW, the pic is a picture of Kahn, a fish that was owned by Blair (aka DeepBlueBettas) whom I am expecting to join this forum some time soon. I say owned because I know the fish is already deceased.
Unread 25th April 2004, 06:43 PM
Colleen Shackleton

firstly, i don't know how to attach a file w/o it being html... and i have a nice pic to post.. and my reply to the above:

I would like to jump in here too and add my take on the Black Orchida
Unread 25th April 2004, 10:49 PM

Hi David & Colleen,

The following attachment shows Henry Yin's Orchid Black Double-ray Crown Tail (IBC G4 Winner). The picture's taken from his poster.

I love its double-rays.

"Tell me, and I will forget. Show me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I will understand." - Confucius (551-479 BC)
Unread 25th April 2004, 11:12 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Colleen Shackleton

firstly, i don't know how to attach a file w/o it being html... and i have a nice pic to post..
Colleen,

Proceed to the following thread. You should be able to upload your pictures in no time.

http://www.bettaclub.org.sg/forum/to...?TOPIC_ID=2329

"Tell me, and I will forget. Show me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I will understand." - Confucius (551-479 BC)
Unread 25th April 2004, 11:16 PM

Thanks for the pic Daniel, so how does Henry Yin really define the Orchid? would it be strictly a black fish with color streaks in the webbing or only a defined color set?

Just really curious. And yes Colleen, I would really like to see your non CT Orchid.

Plus is the line (i.e. Henry Yin's line) really called "Black Orchid" or plainly "Orchid". I have no contact with Henry Yin, most of my contacts are over the internet and he does not seem to be too fond of surfing it. Anyways, would really like to learn about this line. Plus last question for now, does it breed true i.e. Orchid X Orchid = fish that have the Orchid pattern?
Unread 26th April 2004, 03:25 AM
Colleen Shackleton

Thanks to you - Daniel...
i was 'stuck' on the quick reply (lol) thinking that was the only way to correspond and despite all my creative searches, there was no answer found... but i know now... much appreciated.

this particular breeder is doing some fabulous work with the blacks (and other colours). he has been a source of very good quality (and a blessing) for the things i needed for my projects. i could not pass up on this spawn - i bought a fertile sibling pair. the finnage is to die for and it is very close to jet black... the right black for me, in any light. i absolutely love the pattern and bought some others from him with this same exotic look.

[another thing, i love the professionalism of this board, and respect the way it is managed. thank you Chris]

i couldn't resist the opportunity to show you this recent pic of my black orchids, with the HM female in the background. that spawn failed (she is a tough cookie) and he is in with another babe right now...
Unread 26th April 2004, 05:57 AM
Colleen Shackleton

i didn't know how successful i would be taking the poster down, but it scanned okay. sir henry's best friend gave me the poster and it is laminated so the colours will be better, i believe.

my BOs are like the IBC winner (and i am not just saying that... it is true! lol) you can see why i said there are 4 different, and i don't know if these pics are from the same spawn either.

Attachment: [img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] HY-orchids-1.jpg
46.84KB
Attachment: [img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] HY-orchids-2.jpg
40.46KB

i can see where the blue/black might cause a person to question what they were looking at but then the genetics are not the same with the 'BO'... not all females are fertile either and one would have to trust their breeder source implicitly. i know of a person here in the States who is using a BOxYellow to create their line. my female did not take to my male after 2 or 3 times, so i have both of them in with others to see if it is 'chemical' (lol)... he is very much wanting to be a dadda, so maybe giving each of them a stretch with another will get them in the mood to produce for me...

hope this helps.
Unread 26th April 2004, 09:28 AM

The black orchid is not Henry Yin's line. It was, however, a name coined and popularised by Yin and accepted by the betta community in Indonesia. The black orchid is a petty common color in Indonesia. As fo Daniel comments, I regret to differ that the fish he posted has good finnage. It would not have won in an Indonesian competition.
Unread 26th April 2004, 09:47 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David Esguerra

Plus is the line (i.e. Henry Yin's line) really called "Black Orchid" or plainly "Orchid".
His poster states "Orchid Black"
Quote:

I have no contact with Henry Yin, most of my contacts are over the internet and he does not seem to be too fond of surfing it.
He's email address is: ghenry_id@yahoo.com
Quote:

Plus last question for now, does it breed true i.e. Orchid X Orchid = fish that have the Orchid pattern?
I've not tried it but my guess is that it should breed true.

Unread 26th April 2004, 09:48 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil Ngo

I regret to differ that the fish he posted has good finnage. It would not have won in an Indonesian competition.
Interesting point, Uncle Phil. The standards do differ don't they? Is it considered a defect in Indonesia?