Go Back   Betta Club (Singapore) > Old Forum [Archived] > Our Coffee Lounge > Other Freshwater Fish

Other Freshwater Fish Other than Bettas, any Freshwater Species go here!

» Latest Blogs
New legislation by the Australia government
29th September 2010 by Admin
Viewed 52659 times

Unread 11th July 2005, 01:22 PM

Default Compatible breeds for a community tank

Hi,

I have 5ft planted tank with a coolant system. The works i suppose. I've had some deaths. For now, there are cardinal tetras, discus and dwarf gouramis. other than boring tetras, what other interesting breeds can i put in to liven up the tank. The tank looks so peaceful i'm getting bored. I wanted to put in a red tail shark but my tank keeper said no. He said I am only allowed dwarf fishes. it's diffcult to carry a book of all the dwarf species in the world and trying to check against the LFS to see if they are selling those I found in the books. My other tank seems to do well with mixed breeds. But this tank with a 7k investment in it seems super sensitive.
Unread 11th July 2005, 02:17 PM

As you have discus in your tank, you have to exercise caution in the fishes to be included as you might risk adding fishes which are territorial and aggressive. I would suggest adding loaches, pencil fish (a group of at least 10 pencil fish) or aborginal tetra fish. Having a school of at least 20 pencil fish will be an eyeful for you. It all depends on your preference, but if I am you I will avoid agressive fishes.
Unread 11th July 2005, 03:06 PM

Clown loaches was also not allowed as they are too playful and they are leaf pluckers. so it might leave a carnage in the tank. I'll have to look at how the pencil fish looks like. How big do they get?
Unread 11th July 2005, 03:18 PM

oh yeah, I saw a fresh water sting ray at a LFS the other day. It looks really exotic. What does it eat i wonder. Tetras? It's probably not allowed in my tank anyway. Fishes that pluck leaves or burrowing types arent allowed. Good grief. Spend 7k on a tank and you cant even put in fishes that you like.
Unread 11th July 2005, 03:41 PM

heavy vegetation as well?...I reckon the pencil fish is best then, the pencil fish is slightly around 1 to 1.5 inches long. If you want to get inspirations, you can visit this Sam pet aquarium shop in Marine Parade hawker area where they have this 4ft tank filled with cardinal tetras, a good mix of various fishes and heavy vegetation which I think is very nice. The pricing there is steep but they have quality fishes there.

On the other hand, having a string ray would be a bad option. Normally hobbyist would pair it with arrowanas, etc preferably with no vegetations.

I reckon you should stick to schools of tetras or pencil fishes as they are rather passive fishes.
Unread 11th July 2005, 03:51 PM

*mumble* I bought the tank from Sam's Pet Aq. And yes, heavy vegetation. It is so heavy, you can almost snip up some leaves and toss a salad for 3 people. There were 50 cardinal tetras in the tank. Now there are about 30. 1 Discus left and 3 dwarf gouramis and 5 siamese algae eaters and 300 yamato shrimps. Maybe i should top it up with pencil fishes and rummy nose tetras?
Unread 11th July 2005, 03:53 PM

This forum is addictive. I should be working now and worrying about my client's data corruption problem. I need to get back to work. I really need to get back to work. I must get back to work.
Unread 11th July 2005, 05:03 PM

for you information....hahhaha I am also at work and in the IT sector as well. you know what? I got so much things on my plate now but freaking stressed out as well. But I find pleasure in this forum everyday. yes, pencil fishes and rummy nose tetras are good considering your "heavy vegetations". But I am abit skeptical about your shrimps, I won't be suprised your tetras kenna murdered by them. 300 yamato shrimps is alot man, wow...do consider faster swimming fishes such as the "zebra fish"
Unread 11th July 2005, 05:54 PM

ok. I am really goin back to work. Really getting back to work.
ohhhhh.....i thought it could be the discus murdering them! Now, I would have to put in a wild discus to shrink the yamato population! hehe. Aiya. peaceful tank is so boring. Better get back to work. If not tomorrow 2pm, I might have to perform harakiri in front of my clients!
Unread 16th August 2005, 08:12 PM

this is off the topic. but can those wonderful colored guppies be kept together with a betta?